Max,

On 14.08.2015 00:47, Maxime Dor wrote:
Hello,

Following up on https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69563

Is a VM created by IMachine::cloneTo() <https://www.virtualbox.org/sdkref/interface_i_machine.html#a8109a3cdf154e552fcf47b6198d464f0> supposed to inherit the groups of the original VM? Given the forum topic, it is currently not, but is it the intention?
Good question, as usual. The idea is that a clone has exactly the same settings (except those which are requested to be changed explicitly and the disks which are to be handled according to the requested cloning variant). This includes the group. At the moment I can't explain why the group would be lost...

Just a few days ago we bumped into the question of appliance export/import needing group support (especially when there are multiple VMs in one appliance), which is closely related.

This is clearly a topic which needs some thought in the API design. At the moment I suspect that a lot of operations should but currently aren't group aware. There's actually a lot of group related functionality still left on the "todo" list...
Nothing is mentioned in the API doc or in VBoxManage user manual <https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-clonevm>. Thank you in advance for the clarification!
Klaus

Max