On 9/3/07, David Balazic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> but if you already have a working
> virtualization code (like VMware with more than 6 years of experiance)
> then it brings next to nothing.
> It is also slower than software virtualization.

2004:
VMware tests Opteron support
June 21, 2004
http://news.com.com/VMware+tests+Opteron+support/2110-1012_3-5242433.html

2005:
http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/dual_core.html
"VMware GSX Server 3.2, released last month, is the first VMware server
product to support dual-core systems. The next releases of VMware's data
center products, VMware ESX Server and VMware VirtualCenter, will complete
the delivery of support for dual-core systems across the VMware server
product line. VMware Workstation and VMware ACE supported dual-core
processors when they were introduced on the desktop earlier this year."

"We work closely with VMware to help ensure all their products take
advantage of the newest features in AMD's processors, and we believe VMware
continues to bring virtualization into mainstream data centers with the
decision to support dual-core processor technology," said Marty Seyer,
corporate vice president and general manager, Microprocessor Solutions
Sector, AMD. "The Dual-Core AMD Opteron processors, available in systems
from industry-leading hardware vendors including HP, IBM and Sun, deliver up
to a 90 percent performance improvement over single-core processors, making
them an ideal server consolidation platform for VMware virtual
infrastructure software."

2007:
http://www.vmware.com/partners/alliances/technology/amd.html
"VMware has worked closely with AMD to optimize the Quad-Core AMD Opteron
processor for VMware virtualization products. Features such as Rapid
Virtualization Indexing are designed to enable customers using the
industry-leading VMware platform to further increase CPU utilization and
provide more efficient memory access..." said Brian Byun, vice president of
global partners and solutions at VMware. "We are excited about the enhanced
virtualization capabilities of AMD's upcoming processors, including AMD
Virtualization, and their ability to improve performance on a broader set of
workloads."

See why I was asking about Virtualbox and the Opteron?
:)

FC