Why would you want to? If windows XP gets booted,
(and it MUST be booted and log'ed into in order
for you to  install the addons), then use the Devices
tab and be done with it. Seems to me you are making
yourself unhappy by not following the the info being
given.

Christian wrote:
Hi JD,
Many thanks for your reply.
Since I am starting the vm from the gnome-terminal with VirtualBoxSL is
it possible to start the installation of addons from the command line as
well?
Many thanks,
Christian