Hi. Thanks for responding.

I have a 2GHz CoreDuo MacBook with 2GB RAM running 10.5.2 Leopard, and vBox 1.6.
(The default) 512MB of RAM (and 16GB disk) are assigned to the guest.
Yes, the virtual hard disk is heavily blinking.
The load on both host and guest are high (with the fan at full speed),
with the Solaris performance monitor reporting 90+% CPU usage.

Previously, I installed Solaris Express Developer Edition 9/07, using
guest 768MB RAM, and had the same problem.

Rob