On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 05:54:15PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 05:07:36PM +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:46:20 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> >
> > > They just don't actually work
> >
> > I don't know about Ubuntu, but here on Mandriva the user needs to be
> > a member of the 'vboxusers' and 'usb' groups.
> >   If not, I could not use some USB devices.
> >
> No, that's not the problem I'm sure, I've gone through all the
> permissions bits.  I'm more and more of the opinion that it's a
> Windows XP problem.
>
> The USB devices appear in the VirtualBox devices mene and can be
> selected so that they're visible to my Windows XP system, it's just
> that they don't install successfully there.

I've found the cause of the problem.  It's something to do with
what Windows Update installs.  I tried a clean install of a guest
Windows XP and allowed full update to latest code, including SP3, and
saw the symptoms I originally reported.  The USB drivers refused to
install with 'The data is invalid'.  I then did yet *another* clean
install of Windows XP but didn't allow any updates, this time the USB
drivers install without problems.

So it's something that Windows Update installs (my *guess* would be
SP3) that causes a problem with new USB devices.  I think also it's
probably purely a Windows problem and nothing at all to do with
VirtualBox.

--
Chris Green