On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Pablo Sanchez <pa...@blueoakdb.com> wrote:

> On Friday 23 January 2009 at 9:56 am, Brett Serkez penned
> about "Re: [vbox-users] Run VirtualBox as a service in Windows"
>
> > To clarify, in this alternative the idea would be that would run the
> > GUI exactly as you do today, the difference being the longevity the
> > service provides.  That is you would bring up the GUI, manipulate
> > the Guests exactly as you do today, the difference being that if you
> > close the GUI and/or logout, the Guests continue to run as they are
> > children of the Service not the GUI.
>
> Ah, I see where you're going with it ... for me, it'd depend on how
> `heaviness' of the daemon/service.  I have two machines that I use:
> desktop and laptop.  On my desktop, I have VBox running constantly; or
> nearly constantly.  But I do shut it down.  On my laptop, I only run
> VBox when I'm traveling thus the resources are never used until I
> demand them.

Running VirtualBox is user space has a lot of advantages, ie you can run it
without having root access.

If you change it to work as a service then the user must first make sure he
has administrator privileges to launch a new service.

Plus, I have seen instances (I admit on old NT4, not recently) where a
service refused to stop, or refused to launch, and the only solution to such
hosed machine was rebooting thesystem. Whereas on a process-based
architecture, you just kill the process and restart it.

FC