Brian,

On Friday 06 March 2009, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I have a WinXP guest on a Linux host and as I have suspected for a long
> time, the throughput of the disk in WinXP is much slower than native
> disk performance.  To the tune of only 25%.
>
> The WinXP installation is on a real partition and when I boot that WinXP
> natively on the hardware I get about 20MB/s throughput.
>
> If I boot Linux, Linux sees 20MB/s on that partition as well, however
> that same WinXP run in a vritualbox configured to use the partition raw,
> only sees about 5MB/s.
>
> I guess I should add that I'm using VB 2.1.4 and have guest extensions
> installed.

Please could you be a bit more specific:

 * I assume that you are running Windows XP / 32, is that right?
 * Do you have VT-x / AMD-V enabled for that VM or not?
 * Which virtual hard disk controller are you using, IDE or SATA?
 * Check the disk settings in the guest: Does the guest drive the
   hard disk in DMA mode or PIO mode? Check the session information
   dialog for this as well -- PIO and DMA accesses are shown there.
 * Which benchmark did you use for measuring the throughput?

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert    Sun Microsystems    http://www.sun.com/