Disaster!  I clicked on the mouse in the USB devices menu by mistake
(should have clicked on the USB stick) and now I'm totally stuffed.
How do I unclick that selection?

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation because the guest has captured the
mouse device so there is *no* mouse control in the host and there's no
mouse pointer in the guest.

.... after a little thought I realised I could use the command line
VBoxManage command from another machine via ssh, that successfully
shut down the guest and from then on it was all plain sailing again.

However I feel there should be an easier way out of this situation.

--
Chris Green