I have been trying for a while to get a Garmin Nuvi SatNav to work
with a Windows XP guest running under VirtualBox - with little success.

Searching on Google suggests that other people have similar problems.

I have USB working OK with my VirtualBox installation (currently at
version 2.1.4), other USB devices are recognised and work as expected.
This is not just for mass storage devices, I also have an Epson
scanner working in VirtualBox.  So, I think my USB set-up is basically
OK.

However the Garmin Nuvi doesn't work at all.  I have tried two
different Garmin Nuvi SatNavs and get exactly the same symptoms with
both.  The Linux host recognises the Garmin as a USB mass storage
device and presents the contents, no problems there.  However the
Garmin appears as an Unknown Device in VirtualBox, the manufacturer ID
is correct for Garmin though.  I get no mass storage device in Windows
and the Garmin software under windows can't find the SatNav.  Doing
exactly the same things in a 'real' windows system works OK, the
Garmin software sees the SatNav and can upload new maps to it etc.

In the Windows XP guest I see an "Unknown Device" in the Device
Manager with a yellow !.  I think this is the essential problem,
Garmin need to install their own USB drivers and for some reason can't
do it.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions for fixing this problem?

--
Chris Green