James Mansion wrote:
I'm trying to PXE boot across an internal network.  I load gPXE and all
goes well until it starts trying to load bzImage and initrd files from an
HTTP server.

The server is (X)ubuntu 9.04, running lighttpd or apache2 (same behaviour
with both).

Sometimes - very infrequently - I get high performance.  Other times
I see an average of 14 or so 1518-byte packets arriving in the gPXE
VM per second.  Turning on diagnostics in gPXE does not show any
error indication, its just very slow.

Has anyone else observed this?

We don't test gPXE as VirtualBox comes with a PXE boot ROM already. So there could be two reasons: some semi-incompatibility between gPXE and our device emulation (btw, which network card type/model did you select?) or a performance issue triggered by somewhat special transmit/receive patterns created by gPXE.

Since this is no trivial thing, it's probably best to open a ticket in the bug tracker on virtualbox.org. Please attach the exact configuration info (VBox.log will do), and also a packet trace as described on http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Network_tips

Klaus