Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> I reported a similar problem a few months ago with either
> OS X or XP host and Solaris guest.  I observed it when I
> put the host (laptop) to sleep; when I reawaken the host,
> the guest clock is wrong but the host clock (of course) is
> correct.
>
> Suggestions on this list were:
>
> o Install Guest Additions, which steers the clock better.
>
> o Run NTP on the guest.
>
> Neither of these is particularly satisfactory; both seem to
> steer the clock by only a small amount, 1% or so, so if my
> host sleeps for several hours, it will take the guest a
> few weeks to catch up.
>
> Then a Solaris developer told me the problem can't be solved
> because the host passes no indication to the guest that the
> host has slept; WAD.
>
> But I've subsequently observed that I can create the same
> (mis-)behavior by Pausing (Host)-P the guest, then resuming.
> The guest clock is then slow by the duration of the Pause.
> In this case, VBox surely knows about the Pause; VBox itself
> did it.  I consider this a defect requiring repair: on Resume
> VBox should reload the emulated BIOS clock (or whatever) from
> the host BIOS clock; perhaps signal the guest that it has
> slept, as on a laptop with the hinge closed.

For OSs that use API or ACPI, it should be possible to generate an
event when you pause/resume the machine. As for knowing when the
host pauses/resumes, could you add a section to the vbox driver that
sends vbox a signal on resume? It should not be a problem on Linux,
and I would asume that other OSs have something to re-initialize
hardware that needs it when the machine resumes/wakes up.

Mikkel