The error message below comes up when I try to open an XP Pro virtual
machine. The host is Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit.

The VM has been in use for some time now. It was originally
created under VBox 1.6 and has been running under 3.0.2.  I haven't
upgraded to 3.0.4 yet.

I discarded the saved state, but get the same error message.
The only change that's been done since it was last used successfully was
to move the home directory to its own partition.
The other VMs (not windows OS) still work.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA
Mark

The following suggestions have been offered, but do not change the error.

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
&
Edit the file /home/mtyoung/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml and remove the line with the mentioned file. (I deleted the only line containing the UUID 12646e2e-34f2-4745-afa9-cd42fb5b049b. As I suspected this only deleted the VM.)

Failed to start the virtual machine WinXp v1.
Unable to restore the virtual machine's saved state from
'/home/mtyoung/.VirtualBox/Machines/WinXp
v1/Snapshots/{12646e2e-34f2-4745-afa9-cd42fb5b049b}.sav'. It may be
damaged or from an older version of VirtualBox. Please discard the saved
state before starting the virtual machine.

(VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {0a51994b-cbc6-4686-94eb-d4e4023280e2}