----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Shupp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Alberto Rodríguez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: vpopmail and qmail-smtpd-auth

I believe those steps are a little out of date.  And the patch you sent me
has been changed slightly.  Looks like there is extra spaces at the
beginnings of some of the lines.  If you need it again, I can tar it up to
help insure that it's unchanged.

But since posting that updated patch, Kris told me that you can simply do
chmod ug+s /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw, and then you don't need to patch
vpopmail.  Also, you don't need to follow the other instructions mentioned
below.  This may not appeal to everyone, but perhaps it's better than
running your pop daemon as root.

Keep in mind that this will ONLY work if you don't use multiple uids/gids
for virtual domains.  I keep all of mine under the vpopmail user, so it
works.  If you use multiple uids/gids, then you can apply the patch, change
permissions on the directories and make it work that way.

Hope this helps.

Later-

Bill

on 1/24/01 1:37 PM, Alberto Rodríguez at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I´m a bit confusing with faq:
> http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/faq.html#a2
>
> There, you have some steps to install qmail-smtpd-auth with vpopmail.
Below
> I add steps...
>

> is possible to use qmail-smtpd-auth wiht vpopmail ?
>
> Answer.
> (this answer is contributed by Christopher Seawood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):
>
> Yes, you will need to substitute /bin/checkpassword with
> /var/qmail/bin/vpopmail in the examples.
>

> You also have to make the following changes to get it to work:
> 1) Since vpopmail 3.4.11k does a setgid/setuid to the vpopmail user after
it
> authenticates, I had to add the attached patch to make it skip that
> setgid/setuid if it's not being called by root.
> 2) Must add the qmail user to the vpopmail group in /etc/group.
> 3) Must run qmail-smtpd (or rblsmtpd) with the vpopmail gid.
> 4) Must make the user & domain directories and vpasswd* files readable by
> the vpopmail group.
>
> Get this patch and apply it to the vpopmail source.
>
> The first thing you must make according the faq is to change your
> checkpassword with /var/qmail/bin/vpopmail.
>
> I think that the correct name is /home/vpopmai/bin/vckpw and not
> /var/qmail/bin/vpopmail.
> Is it true?
>
> The follow step in faq say that you must add a patch to vpopmail source if
> you not run vpopmail  as root (here vpopmail is again vckpw?).
> So can I run vckpw as root and in this way I have not to patch vpopmail?
>
> I ask you last question because I have  problems to patch vpopmail source.
> You send me a patch for vpopmail-4.9.8 but it not work. I attach you the
> patch and I´ll thank you if you could look this file.
>
> Thank you in advance and bests regards.

Thank you very much for your help. I have made chmod ug+s and it works
succefully.

Well although I think that I´ll run or my domains with vchkpw, I´d like know
how to run domains with diferent uids/gids (I´m curioss), so I´d like ( if
possible) that you send me the correct patch for vpopmail.

I have other question for you or anybody in the list...

I have a firewall, and I have smtp-auth on the firewall for authentication
purpose only.  Mails of corse, aren´t delivery to firewall, they are
delivery to my pop-server which is inside in a private network. But if I
wont to have only one uid/gid for all my domains I need vpopmail in the
firewall, and  make domains with vadddomain, But the problem here is that
vadddomain change the controls files in /var/qmail/control, for example
locals, virtualdomains, rcpthosts etc.

The problem is with virtualdomain file control of qmail, since there, when
you  make...

"vadddomain test.domain.org"

test.domain.org is added to virtualdomain, and so when someone try send a
mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] qmail with vpopmail try to deliver the message locally
and not to my pop-server.

Perhaps someone in the list could help me with this new doubt.

Perhaps I can solve this problem with mysql, postsgresql, ldap but I prefer
solve it with smtp-auth+vpopmail because is easier for mi run this utilitie
than mysql, ldap etc...

Could someone in the list help me with my problem?

Any sugestion will be good.

Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks in advance.