> Anyway, I searched and poked and grepped and looked through Running Qmail,
> but I could not find a startup script anywhere that starts the tcpserver
> line above. I don't know where it is coming from. I went ahead and made a
> note of the command, then created a new script:
>
> # ls -l /usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d-new
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  qmail  174 May 10 14:12
> /usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d-new*
>
> with contents:
>
> env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
> tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mydom.co.jp \
> /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d-new Maildir &
>
> I then killed the original tcpserver process and executed this instead:
>
> # /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v 0 pop3
> /usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d-new &

My oh my... you run tcpserver with a shell script that runs tcpserver
(again) and calls itself instead of qmail-pop3d. You also have a lot of
redundance by including the full paths to binaries when they're in your
path. Try putting this in /usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d-new:

env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
tcpserver 0 pop3 qmail-popup mydom.co.jp \
/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw qmail-pop3d Maildir &

Then just run qmail-pop3d-new