Thanks Chris, but I tried the version from 4.10.23, with the same result.
Nothing seems to be happening at all.

I peeked at the source in vconvert.c.  There is a "#ifdef  FOOB" on the
very first line.  There dosen't seem to be any reference to this anywhere
else in the code.  I don't pretend to be a programmer, but do you think
this may be related to the problem? ;i.e. it is not getting some dependency
it requires?
Should I just remove the "ifdef" and related "endif" and try and recompile?

Dear Ken, if you have the time, can you please help on this?

thanks in advance.
Faruque