On 28 Nov 01, at 13:55, Steve Fulton wrote:

> At 13:34 28/11/2001, Ken Jones wrote:
>
> >I saw this once with an ISP.
> >They traced it down to some networking router configurations.
> >I never found out the details tho.
>
>    That was my initial thought to, and the clients do use a proxy to dial
> into us & pick up their e-mail.  But after a lot of work, I do not believe
> that's the issue here.  I've got a theory, but I won't speculate publicly
> until I'm positive.  Oh, I don't believe its related to Vpopmail ;)

I've had this happen with a few dialup clients before using fetchmail.
Their ISPs routers where overloaded and dropping packets and tcp
streams randomly. It was only usually noticable on large
downloads, say over 100k.
The fix was to wait for off peak hours to relax the load on the
routers but in the mean time it was possible to switch them to
IMAP retrieval with fetchmail and tell it to only fetch mail of a
certain size or smaller.

Phil Wall