On 2002.09.23_11:06:37_+0000, George Minich wrote:
>   Now that I have my email server just about ready to fly, I would
>   like to ask about server backup strategy.  What is the most
>   effective method of backing up all OS email configuration and data?
>   I was thinking about first dumping to another machine via the
>   network and then going to tape.  If this is done, I would imagine
>   that TAR should be used.  Does this method capture all data
>   properly?  I have been looking at the DUMP command but am not 100%
>   certain as to which is a better alternative.  Are 3rd party backup
>   applicaions a better alternative?

tar should be enough. AFAIK, dump doesn't work for all filesystems.  If
you have a tape server, I would like to suggest amanda, available at
http://www.amanda.org. Other commercial utility like BRU or Arkeia have
good reputations, altough I haven't tried it out myself.

rsync may be just another perfect alternative. It synchronize the
directories across network efficiently.

A good rule of thumb, do a full backup by default, and exclude
everything you don't want to backup.

>   I would like daily complete backups if possible.  I do not see this
>   machine growing above 30 gigs any time soon.

Sure.. on my workstation, actually I do a backup every so hours, using
cron and rsync to the backup server, to minimize data lost.

--
H. D. Lee