I was having similiar problems with aliases and finally figured out that my
problem was that I did not set --enable-qmail-ext=y in my initial compilation.
I wasn't clear myself on exactly how aliases worked with qmail/vpopmail (and yes
I read the dot-qmail and dot-users man pages -- they are well-written but asking
questions to get the big picture is often helpful).

Anyway I think based on my maillogs from my original installation then compared
to my new installation vpopmail was simply ignoring .qmail-ext files (which
makes sense if I didn't enbable it at compile time!)

Curious - does anyone have an explanation of why this is disabled by deafult?  I
would think you would want it enabled by default but perhaps there is a reason I
am unaware of.  Also - vpopmail has many options that are set at compile time
that would be nice to be file-based configurable - thoughts?