I'm using qmail and courier-imap. Currently exploring options for
virtual domains. I've read the FAQ's and INSTALL docs. Still new to all
this, even qmail.

How is doing virtual domains under qmail, courier-imap + userdb as
illustrated by:

Courier-IMAP + Maildrop + QMail + Userdb + Virtual Domains HOWTO
http://howtos.eoutfitters.net/email/

different than using vpopmail? Which is the preferred method. I only
want to use IMAP not POP.

>From the INSTALl doc in courier-imap:

---
VCHKPW AUTHENTICATION MODULE

This  authentication  module  is  provided  for  legacy support.  New
installs  should  use the authuserdb module. It is possible to convert
vpopmail/vchkpw   single   userid   authentication   passwd  files  to
/etc/userdb  using  the vchkpw2userdb script. See vchkpw2userdb(8) for
more information.
---

That seems to imply that using userdb method is better. if that's the
case, what are the advantages of using vpopmail?