Ok, I started it, I wish to kill it.  All points well made, though a bit
ruder than necessary.  I'll compile against a hostname that is configured
into /etc/hosts and life will be grand.  Thank you.  BTW, I'm disappointed
nobody compared file read for looking up a sql server vs. file read for
looking up hostname.  Can't imagine that would be much different, and thus
doesn't really gain you much in performance.  Just a thought.  Again,
thank you for the responses.

--
Benjamin Tomhave, Senior Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]