Greetings list,

I'm sure people have considered this before, but I'd like to collect everyone's
thoughts on the idea I'm about to present:

VPopMail as a daemon
--------------------
What does everyone think about the possibility of turning vpopmail into a daemon?
Complete with network ports and the like. It would
allow for a much more distributed architecture, IMHO.

Currently, if someone wants to run qmailadmin on a separate web server, they have to
create an NFS share, right?

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to provide a vpopmail network protocol that allows
connections from remote administrative utilities?

Possibly even implement support for vpopmail clusters (although I'm thinking you'd
have to have a crazy amount of users to need a
cluster! Vpopmail is pretty darn efficient.)

Administrative programs like qmailadmin and vqadmin would benefit by not having to be
run on the primary mail server, but I highly
doubt that the majority of web traffic comes from the admin CGIs.

Programs like sqwebmail would benefit by not having to be recompiled every time
vpopmail is upgraded. The port protocol wouldn't
change much between versions, and developers could maintain backward compatibility.

Sqwebmail WOULDN'T be able to run on a separate server, as it accesses maildirs
directly, but at least administration, upgrades, and
general package stability would likely improve a bit.

Who knows. One might even be able to implement a maildir access protocol. But that
would probably just duplicate the functionality
of the IMAP protocol.

Can anyone else think of a good reason why vpopmail might benefit from being made into
a daemon?

Can anyone think of a really good reason why it shouldn't? (Other than the time it
would take to code everything.)

I'm just thinking aloud here, but I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on the matter.

Thanks,

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,

We are actively looking for companies that do a lot of long
distance faxing and want to cut their long distance bill by
up to 50%.  Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more info.