A couple hodge-podge ideas...

You could create a robot ("autoresponder") with an address like
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and program-in your stock welcome message.  Then
write a wrapper script for your vadduser that creates the user then sends
a blank email to the robot address, resulting in the welcome message being
returned.

Or, write a wrapper script that creates the user and then simply does a
mail -S subject [EMAIL PROTECTED] < welcome.msg (or whatever the syntax
should be).

That's assuming, of course, that there aren't any built-in mechanisms for
this.  :)

--
Benjamin Tomhave, Senior Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]