Hi John,

> Somebody else had set this up a while ago - I think it is working but
> I'm not sure if it is affecting other mail deliveries.

Oh well, it is...

> Basically I have spam assassin installed and I have a .qmail-default
> in every domain folder on my server.  It looks  like this:
>
> | /var/qmail/bin/preline -d /var/qmail/bin/bouncesaying \
>     "[message to bounce back if not SPAM]"
> | /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ' ' bounce-no-mailbox

The first line simply bounces _everything_ back to the sender, telling
him it is spam. You don't actually call any SpamAssassin program in your
.qmail-default file - how do you expect SpamAssassin to be actually used
in your setup? ;-)

> Does this look like it should work okay with spam assassin?

Definitely not.

> I notice others .qmil-default files look a little different.

Theirs might be hopefully working ;-)

Personally, I'd prefer qmail-scanner to mark all messages with a spam
analysis header, and then use dot-qmail filtering to sort them out
later. Try out this, if your mail server supports qmail-scanner with
SpamAssassin integration. You'll need the 822mess package from DJB to
get the "822field" program.

$ cat .qmail-default
| bouncesaying "I don't want your spam" 822field X-Spam-Flag > /dev/null
| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' bounce-no-mailbox

It's 822field in this case that checks for the presence of the
X-Spam-Flag header. If it's present, it bounces the message back to the
sender. If not, it continues with the next delivery instruction.

Please be aware that qmailadmin occasionally rewrites .qmail-default,
causing your manual filtering rules to disappear!

Jonas