On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 10:35 AM, Ron Guerin wrote:

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 10:21, Matt Simerson wrote:
Apparently a server named "ns1.inter7.com" is doing the delivery for
the vchkpw mailing list. This wouldn't be a problem except that it
doesn't have reverse DNS.

I started blocking connections to my mail server from servers who don't
have DNS and my vpopmail and qmailadmin list traffic stopped.

You'll be losing a lot more legit mail than just this list if you do that.

- Ron

I have managed several dozen mail systems supporting over 100,000 users. I am not naive to that simple fact. However, this is my personal mail server and I've decided that if you can't set up DNS for your mail server properly, I don't want to receive mail from you. It's that simple.

In this case, I'm sure it's an oversight on the part of the Inter7 guys. As soon as they get it straightened out, I'll be once again blocking connections from servers without reverse DNS. I'm writing a logging program that parses out log smtp logs and lets me know how many connections I've blocked, which rule blocked the connection (spamhaus, spamcop, rbl, reverse dns, etc), and the IP I blocked.

Matt