On Saturday 29 March 2003 14:25, dWi saSonO b wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:53:47 +0100
>
> Lucas Valdeón <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  Talking about reverse dns I have a little problem.
> > In the same machine there are several ips. In the first ip .71 there is
> > no service.
> > In the second one .72 mail is running ( pop3, smtp ).
> > .71 has reverse dns ( ssh.x.com )
> > .72 has reverse dns ( mail.x.com )
> > Qmail send mail from default route .71, so it has reverse dns, but it is
> > not mail.landm.net.
> > So I supossed I have to patch qmail to send from a different ip, or move
> > mail service to another one.
> > Is correct to send mail from a reverse dns in the same domain, but
> > different hostname that MX entry ?
> >
> >     Thank you in advance,
> >
> >     Lucas
>
> errr correct me if im wrong.
> reverse dns needed with smtp to validate IP and nameserver ?
> some of smtp server around the world need reverse dns to validate your smtp
> server some time if your smtp server can't be validate .. there's
> posibility your email message denied.
>
> ps.
> i dont know if this in RFC thought

exactly. and as some people in this list already pointed out: it is not.
i don't like people to enforce their "strict" policies on me, unless these
strict policies are legal. what's next? everybody needs to run an ident
daemon on his mail server ?

if you want to help your customers getting rid of their spam, why not force
them to use a spam filter? oh, i forgot.. they pay you and we don't.
it's pretty obvious, that as long as the reverse dns isn't in RFC, chances are
that the good guys send mail from servers without reverse dns. => if you
don't accept mail from them, your customers will lose "ham" mail.

--
Mit internetten Grüßen / Best Regards
Justin Heesemann                                        ionium Technologies