Thanks for your all your help, by the way :-)

I actually spent *days*, and lots of digging on the Net, trying to get it to
work with daemontools. As I say I have a number of working systems to compare
and contrast with, and I do generally stick closely to Mr. McKenna's howto.
What I mean to say is that it ain't going to work at all if I go back.

Its starting to look like the way forward is to rebuild the box with something
other than RedHat and start again, although this feels even more like
admitting defeat. I could always put W2000 on it and run Exchange :-)

Oh well......

H.