It does not work with the cdb module.
Here is what I tested
vpopmail 5.3.21 configured for cdb
1) vadddomain test.com test
2) vi vpasswd
add a line for a test account, including postmaster it is:
postmaster:$1$RBVsu$EAxcmcNxWptVo46fkmrKc/:1:0:Postmaster:/home/vpopmail/domains
/test.com/postmaster:50000000:test
kbo::1:0:kbo::50000000:test

3) echo "to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

qmail log shows the following:
@400000003f4b81c304f468e4 info msg 2376106: bytes 205 from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 14701 uid 0
@400000003f4b81c30566222c starting delivery 2: msg 2376106 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@400000003f4b81c3056629fc status: local 1/100 remote 0/400
@400000003f4b81c30897a754 delivery 2: failure:
Auto_re-creation_of_maildir_failed._vpopmail_(#5.9.9)/
@400000003f4b81c30897b30c status: local 0/100 remote 0/400
@400000003f4b81c309b29cd4 bounce msg 2376106 qp 14705

That is in vdelivermail.c
I would check the values in the vpw structure (print them out).
Probably vpw->pw_dir is neither NULL nor an empty string,
so it doesn't create the maildir. This might be due to
processing empty fields in the cdb module.

Ken Jones
inter7.com