From: Tom Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: vpopmail list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] SMTP-Auth bug in passwords?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:23:27 -0700

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 10:06 PM, Anthony Baratta wrote:
Doesn't the AUTH LOGIN state that he's going to use Base64 encoding?? If he put in AUTH CRAM-MD5 then it would be expecting MD5 encoding.

So this appears to be a problem with LOGIN, either in the patch or with vPopmail.

When vpopmail stores passwords (at least in cdb), it either uses crypt() with a two-character salt and DES encoding (where only the first 8 characters of the password matter), or it uses an 8-character salt and MD5 encoding.

It would be interesting to see whether the problem exists when using CRAM-MD5 as well. It could also be isolated by trying to authenticate with qmailadmin or courier-imap and using just the first 8 characters of the password.

--
Tom Collins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]