I have this working with only one quirk..

i run spamd standalone daemon with options -c -d -a -v -d -s local4 -u
vpopmail -D

my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf defines a global AWL path.. in my case:

auto_whitelist_path     /etc/mail/spamassassin/whitelist/auto-whitelist
bayes_path              /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/
bayes_use_hapaxes       1

i can mail any config files if anyone is interested..

now for the bad news.. vadduser and qmailadmin do NOT create the
$VPOPMAIL/domains/$domain/$user/.spamassassin directory
if you mkdir and chmod it, user_prefs is copied the first email received..

i have had in the past where mail usernames could not be defined.. i.e.
unknown user.. in this case the mail was being delivered first to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
so i created a [EMAIL PROTECTED] account and setup .spamassassin for
this user as well.. so far every message in and out gets spam checked no
problem.

preferences can be overridden in the
$VPOPMAIL/domains/$domain/$user/.spamassassin/user_prefs which is perms 666
vpopmail.vpopmail (i have no vchkpw group)
so in theory either group perms or keeping evil permissions will make it
possible to use webtools suth as PHP-SA to setup spam prefs. per user..

note the only real function i see disabled in this environment is per-user
auto whitelists..

Nathan Goodman
Unemployed Network Administrator
Casualty of April 2003 Cutbacks