I've just upgraded from plain old qmail to qmail/vpopmail. Everything
seemed to be going fine until for no apparent reason, POP3 logins from
every mail domain were denied.

A little hunting down led me to discover /var/qmail/users/assign had
been utterly trashed with the cdb representation of the entirity of
/etc/passwd. It seems that either qmail or RedHat 9's default installer
sets up a job in /etc/cron.hourly/qmail that updates users/assign with
any new users that may have been added. In the context of vpopmail,
trashing users/assign like this is A Bad Thing.

I've not seen this particular gotcha mentioned in any docs anywhere. Is
there a more appropriate list I should maybe mention this to?