I have the problem on very different OS : a Debian and a Mandrake.

I don't think that using clear-passwd enabled would change anything as I have storing configuration with mysql as you can see below
and at the url : http://sylvestre.ledru.info/howto/howto_qmail_vpopmail.php#vpopmail
(I've of course adapted this tutorial to the new version of vpopmail with the help of : http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/isp/webmail-server.htm#VPOPMAIL

Do you have any idae ?