Just from a best practice stand point, it sounds like you're really asking for a headache accessing the same data 2 different ways at the same time with the same program. I'd recommend finding a different solution. One being setting up a filter in outlook that looks for the Spam status header and filtering it in outlook rather than on the server (if bandwidth isn't something you're trying to save).

The other being just check the spam folder via webmail once in a while. I'd really try and avoid accessing the same data at the same time 2 different ways. While unix is forgiving, most client applications aren't.

Dean