----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "vpopmail list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:50 AM
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] Vpopmail 5.4.0-rc1 released

> On Jan 3, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Dean Henrichsmeyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 00:18, Tom Collins wrote:
> >> http://vpopmail.sf.net/
> >>
> >> I anticipate that this release will become final/stable in the coming
> >> week.  There might be a few more documentation additions/changes, but
> >> otherwise it should be solid and complete.
> >
> > Someone mentioned something about putting in a patch so that cram-md5
> > auth would work with vchkpw. I can't remember who it was but does
> > anyone
> > know if this has been done?
>
> Shoot.  It hasn't been done.  I'm visiting family for the holidays, and
> haven't been able to spend much time working on vpopmail.  I wanted to
> get a release candidate out, but I forgot that that patch was in my
> queue.
>
> Someone (Bowe?) wrote (in a SourceForge tracker item) that it might be
> incompatible with one of the smtp auth patches for qmail.  I know for a
> fact that I can't use CRAM-MD5 from Apple Mail to my server, so I don't
> doubt that there's a need for a patch.

Yes

CRAM-MD5 is typically used with SMTP-AUTH.

The problem is that one of the most common qmail SMTP-AUTH
patches ( http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/ )
has got a bug that breaks CRAM-MD5.

Here is the commend I made ( in vpopmail bug tracker 862598 )

: Looking through the changelog, I can see that CRAM-MD5
: SMTP-AUTH was added by Bill Shipp during 5.3.6, and that he
: wrote the code to work with the SMTP-AUTH patch from
: http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/
: However according to this page :
: http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html, that particular
: SMTP-AUTH implementatoin breaks the checkpassword
: interface... But since it is the most common patch, it if we fix
: the vchkpw code to make it compliant, I assume then it will
: break this patch

> If anyone out there can test CRAM-MD5 auth, please try applying this
> patch to rc1 and reporting back whether it fixes the problem.  Also,
> please report the source of your SMTP AUTH patch if known.
>
> http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html

Michael.