I'm actually doing something like this already. We've patched vdelivermail to leave files in the user's Maildir/tmp if an environment variable is set. That variable is the name of a program to run with a set of arguments detailing the user, domain, size, and filename that we've stored.

Said program runs persistently and inserts that data into a MySQL database.
Asynchronously, another program reads from that database, determines the preferences associated with that user/domain (stored in the vpopmail db), and runs over the file sitting in Maildir/tmp with things as needed (spamassassin, Clam, etc...)

(If the program fails or is unexecutable, we tempfail back.)

If the file "passes" (tagged or not) we move it to the user's Maildir/new directory, otherwise send it to .Trash, delete, or whatever else, and update the SQL db as needed with the resolution.

It works pretty well (or will, once we finish tweaking our DB schema for this latest revision).

-JC