From: Tom Collins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 10:06 AM
To: vpopmail list
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] Unable to ch to dir

On Jan 23, 2004, at 6:18 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> To understand the deliver process better I have a few questions.
> Qmail receives an email for delivery.  It finds the domain in the
> virtualdomains file.  It looks in the assigns file and sees that the
> mail needs to be delivered to the
> /opt/vpopmail/domains/aurum-email.net (in my case)  directory.  My
> assigns file is as so:
>
> +aurum-email.net-:aurum-email.net:89:89:/opt/vpopmail/domains/aurum-
> email.net:-::

Then it looks for a /opt/vpopmail/domains/aurum-email.net/.qmail-user
file with delivery instructions for the mail.  Vpopmail doesn't even
get involved at this point, so make sure all of your .qmail-user files
point to valid Maildirs.  Could you have an old alias that points to a
now non-existent Maildir?

Newer versions of qmailadmin show bad aliases like that in red, so
they're easy to see.

> So it looks in /opt/vpopmail/domains/aurum-email.net for the
> .qmail-default file to proceed with delivery.  The .qmail-default has
> the following:
>
> | /opt/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ''
> /opt/vpopmail/domains/aurum-email.net/postmaster
>
> So Qmail runs vdelivermail to deliver the email.  It knows where the
> user's maildir is and puts the email there.

vdelivermail checks for entries in the valias table (if compiled that
way), and then tries to look up the user in the user database and
deliver the mail to the directory specified there.  If the user doesn't
exist, then it delivers the mail to the default location.  In your
case, the postmaster mailbox.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/  Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/

Notice:  The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message, and then delete it from your computer.  All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Aurum Technology corporate e-mail system and is subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.