Bill Wichers wrote:

I've got a qmail/vpopmail/courier system at the moment that supports a
fair load that continues to increase. At the moment everything runs on
sevaral ext3 partions on top of LVM (to allow online expansion) on a RAID5
array using a hardware controller with write back cache.

I'm thinking that there are probably more efficient filesystems than ext3
for at least some of this, and have been thinking about using xfs (faster
but still journaling), or maybe ext2 (very fast but no journaling) for at
least the qmail queue. Does anyone have some recommendations for the
filesystem to use on the partitions? Right now there are three partitions
on the system, one for qmail's queue, one for the virus scanner's temp
files, and one for the vpopmail maildirs. I have to be able to do online
expansion for at least the maildirs due to IMAP and user requirements.

Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated!

-Bill

We were using ext3 software raid5 on linux for a database server. We experienced some slowness/unresponsive problems similar to:
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2002-October/msg00073.html
so we're going to try giving ext2 a try. it's not in production yet but so far it does seem faster.