>> > 1.  Physical move:
>> >      cp /etc/tcp* ~vpopmail/etc
>> >      cd ~vpopmail/etc
>> >      chown vpopmail.vchkpw tcp*
>> >             (wasn't sure who should own 'em... I tried root.root
>> >             also)

On my fairly standard setup, the tcp.smtp is owned by vpopmail:vchkpw, and
the open-smtp and tcp.smtp.cdb files are owned by root:root. You might
have a permissions problem here...

>> > exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 4000000 \
>> > /usr/local/bin/tcpserver \
>> >   -H -l mail.spacefoundation.org \
>> >   -v -x ~vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
>> >   -c 20 -R -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
>> > /usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd -b -C \

I don't have this kind of roaming user support setup on my machines
running with svscan (I use relay-ctrl which is more flexible), but I
wouldn't be surprised if `~vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb` isn't going to work.
Try using a full path here (/mail/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb or whatever
you use on your system).

>> >      /var/qmail/bin/qmailctl   :  changed in multiple places from:
>> >           /etc/tcp...   -->   ~vpopmail/etc/tcp...

See above -- use the full path to tcp.*

>> > So what did I miss??  As I said, when I make these changes, it
>> > 'breaks'.  No smtp.

How much breaks? Roaming users only? Relaying by IPs/subnets specifically
allowed in tcp.smtp? Both? There are several possible causes of this
problem:

If relaying works for tcp.smtp allowed subnets, but NOT for roaming users:

* qmail-pop3d may not be updating the vpopmail/etc/open-smtp file (this is
often permissions related!)
* the tcp.smtp.cdb file may not be getting rebuilt when the open-smtp file
is updated (check your tcprules binary and the lines in your scripts that
call it)
* your scripts don't reference the tcp.smtp.cdb file properly so
qmail-smtpd isn't seeing/using it

If relaying doesn't work for anyone (roaming or explicitly allowed) you
probably have a problem with the script starting qmail-smtpd.

Also, be sure the DIRECTORY where the tcp.* files and the open-smtp files
are stored is WRITEABLE by vpopmail/vchkpw so that it can update the files
when users POP in. I had this problem once and it took me a while to find
it. I just made vpopmail/etc owned by vpopmail:vchkpw to solve it.

     -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator