Jason Wilkinson wrote:

Hello all,

I've searched and wasn't able to come up with an answer to this
question. Though I did see a reference to it in the Bug Lists (
http://tinyurl.com/59gos ).

We're hitting a wall with our MySql install and our traffic is
filling up all available MySql connections. We are currently working
to tune our MySql install. Until that happens, I was wondering if
there was a reason that vpopmail bounces all mail with a 5xx response
when it can't connect to MySql.

I know that I can increase my max_connections in MySql...it just
seems as if vpopmail should respond with a 4xx response so that valid
mail isn't bounced.

I will admit that I am using an old version of vpopmail (5.2). If
this has been fixed I'll work towards an upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

-jw-

Can anybody tell me if this issue is being addressed in future releases?

I think, it is being addressed and will be incorporated in a future version.

I think, as of today, you can only try spreading the load amongst more servers, via mysql-replication.

It doesn't protect from spikes to one particular server, though.

Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~