um.. the uid and gid are used on a unix file systems to identify
permission levels of access to files and directories.
they allow an administrator to compartementalize
access on a *nix box.
they are closely tied with the applications....
chmod chown and chgrp.

pw_uid is == uid from the /etc/passwd file
same with pw_gid

they were probably not identified in documentation
because they are pretty evident if you came from
an *nix file system admin background....

they do have the added benefit of being used
as a reference for the functionality that
dave pointed out.

kenneth gf brown