On Thu, November 25, 2004 1:08 pm, Casey Allen Shobe said:
> I'll keep digging...

Aha, seems that once vchkpw was SUID root, and qmail-smtpd was restarted,
everything worked grand.

The core of my problem here was that I did not realize chown would remove
SUID/SGID bits, and learned the really hard way.  Well, all's well that
ends well, and I'll not soon forget this lesson.  On the bright side,
every sort of problem like this becomes a wonderful opportunity to learn
much more about the product you're using :-).

Thanks for the assistance and advice, especially Tom whose advice proved
invaluable!

--
Casey Allen Shobe, the Ready-For-Sleep-Now Postmaster
[EMAIL PROTECTED]