>> 1. how come i'm able to use the same smtp on two different machines on
>> the
>> home network without having to authenticate for smtp on the imap
>> account?
>
> It is possible that you're using a NAT router/gateway between your
> home network and your ISP?  If so, the NAT address on the WAN side
> of your router serves both of your home computers.  That address is
> the one that is known to the Qmail/Vpopmail server, not the different
> internal addresses.  To the mail server, you're coming from the same
> address.

thanks Eric. that was what i was suggesting in my third question. i'd
think that the vpopmail sessions are id-ed on mac numbers. isn't it true
then that if i go to a public space where i use my laptop to retrieve my
mail everybody in that space will be able to use my smtp server - if they
knew which is it - to send their mail and maybe spam?

> To see ensure that your mail relay filters are working, go here:
>   http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
> and follow the instructions for the anonymous test.

great....  i got this..  blinking:

THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MEAN THAT IT'S AN OPEN RELAY.

that doesn't really resolve it for me....

is that because of qmail first accepting the message and then checking
against the rcpthosts. what about the tcp rules in tcp.smtp.db?