On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:

> is there any way to run chkusr on these 'gateway' MX servers? i use MySQL
> authentication. The mysql server is the pop server, and i replicate that on
> the primary MX (where the majority of mail comes in). is there any way to
> 'hook' into the authentication info in the replicated database directly?
> that woudl be ideal, as it should be quite fast.
>
> but reading the docs, it appears i have to install vpopmail on the server
> that's going to run chkusr, and i don't much like the idea of that. i'm a
> tad worried that i might suddenly find all incoming messages being
> delivered to 'local' and going to the bit-bucket if i turn on chkusr. but
> that's just wild speculation at this point - i haven't yet installed
> chkusr, pending some insight on the matters above.

We are running vpopmail (with chkusr) on a backup MX with a replicated
MySQL database. This setup works well. We do a daily rsync of .qmail files
(not the maildirs, just the structure). Qmail on that server is configured
to relay to our primary MX but not before chkusr gets to do its thing on
incoming mail - this is stopped a lot of spam coming through our backup
MX.