This is a vpopmail/qmailadmin question but I thought the emphasis was more
on vpopmail, so I'm asking here.

The qmailadmin INSTALL file has this to say about mail filtering:

> *MODIFY SPAM: If you want spam detection available to the end-user:
> --enable-modify-spam=Y
> (default spam command is
> "|preline /usr/local/bin/maildrop /etc/mailfilter"
> If you wnat something else, use
> --enable-spam-command="|spamcommand"
> NOTE: This command must deliver the mail)

Particularly the last line is of interest.

Apparently maildrop and procmail satisfy the requirement of delivering the
mail, and apparently these are the two options that most everyone uses.
However they both provide a lot of functionality I have no use for so I'd
like to avoid using them.  I do not need any kind of sorting of mail inter
multiple directories, for example.

All I need is to satisfy that requirement that the command must deliver the
mail.  I want it delivered exactly as vdelivermail would have delivered it,
but I want to pipe it through my filter on the way out.

I have been able to prototype my filtering functionality in a .qmail-user
file in one of my domain directories as follows:

    | myfilter | /var/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' bounce-no-mailbox

I have been testing this for several days and this approach is working fine.

However, it is a hack (and doesn't play well with qmailadmin), and what I
really want to do is to be able to use something like this in the
user/.qmail file instead:

    | preline myfilter | simple_vpopmail_final_delivery

Or if simple_vpopmail_final_delivery already does the prelining, then even
better:

    | myfilter | simple_vpopmail_final_delivery

My assumption is that what I am calling simple_vpopmail_final_delivery is in
fact the last stage of what vdelivermail does, and if so I'm wondering if
there is any architectural reason why this piece of functionality could not
be made available as a separate command, perhaps even as vdelivermail with
another command-line option to suppress prelinining and other functionality
associated with the user/.qmail file.

In the mean time, what is the best (simplest, most reliable) way to achieve
this simplistic delivery functionality?

Thanks in advance.

-Kurt Bigler