Hello Casey,

On Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 12:22:05 AM Casey wrote:

> On Saturday 18 June 2005 10:13, Peter Palmreuther wrote:
>> How did you log in? SMTP-AUTH using CRAM-MD5?

> PLAIN with IMAP (dovecot).

And dovecot is configured to explicitly use 'vchkpw' and 'vchkpw' is
for sure the version from 'compile with --enable-clear-password'
build?

I'm asking because I used the 'silent convert' myself already several
times and 'fetched' plain text passwords this way to be inserted into
'vpasswd'. Though I haven't used it recently with a current version
(latest I tested with is 5.4.5), but I can't imagine why it should be
broken, as I don't see any index somebody changed something in this
functionality.

You might try this:

- Edit 'vpasswd' to remove clear password
- run 'vmkpasswd $DOMAIN'
- run
     printf "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" |vchkpw /usr/bin/env 3<&0
- check if environment was printed (should be with correct password
  presented)
- check 'vpasswd' and 'vpasswd.cdb'. If clear text password is present
  in both now for modified account, dovecot uses something different
  than 'vchkpw' yo ujust used. If not: double and triple check if
  'vchkpw' is the same as in build directory; if so: compile without
  any '-O' and with '-g2' option and debug vchkpw e.g. using gdb.
--
Best regards
Peter Palmreuther

Dew knot trussed yore spell checquer two fined awl mistakes.