Jimmy Stewpot wrote:

Rick Macdougall wrote:
Jimmy Stewpot wrote:

I have just written a script that would do a mysql update query to

md5('password'); into the mysql database. However the problem appears to
be that the passwords set by the vpasswd utility dont appear to be md5
in the same way that the mysql query with md5() function works?

Is that correct?

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.  How are you running this script ?  Is it a perl
or php program ?
You can create the correct md5 password in perl or php and then update
the database with it.

It appears as though the passwords all start with a $1 how do we go
about creating the right md5sums for example with php? I keep getting
b.s. information created and it will fail authentication.

p.s. thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Hi,

$encpass = crypt('password','$1$salthere$');

See http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php

Regards,

Rick