While youre considering proprietary solutions and naturally, would like
to pay for them, perhaps you should consider redhat's GFS thingie. Its
GPL but redhat offers it with their AS for an extra $$

Ive seen it work and it seems like quite a scalable solution and
tipically cheaper than buying a SAN.

However, sans do offer plenty advantages on some environments (wann have
the winboxes and linboxes scsi-plugged into the same san), if this is
just for email, this can be a cheaper solution.

With this kind of thing, what you get to do is plug three or more boxes
with whatever storage they have and then store on all of them. This
thing works with LVM2 so you can partition, snapshot and share it to
your hearts content. Put a solid GB net on it with separate NICS (from
the NICS youll be using to actually provide service) for best results.