on 3/27/06 11:45 AM, Tom Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Kurt Bigler wrote:
>> I'm sure.  I triple checked.  I have a text file of the shell session.
>> I've
>> attached a contiguous unedited excerpt from the shell session.
>
> I'm not familiar with how versions of vpopmail prior to the 5.4 series
> handled alias domains, but the directory structure in the shell session
> you posted doesn't match the way alias domains are handled now.
>
> When you run vdeldomain, it looks in /var/qmail/users/assign to find
> the domain.  If it's an alias (the first two columns don't match), it
> just deletes the domain from the /var/qmail/control/* and
> /var/qmail/users/assign files.

It looks like for my old alias domains, the first two columns do match, but
the pathname column doesn't:

+middendorfbreath.org-:middendorfbreath.org:89:89:/var/vpopmail/domains/midd
endorfbreath.com:-::

which is curious since there is no reference to the directory symlink.

> If the old way of handling alias domains was to create unique entries
> in users/assign and then use links to map the directories, I could see
> how vdeldomain could end up deleting the underlying directory.  I'll
> make a note to look at vdeldomain and have it act differently if the
> domain directory is a link to another directory.

Yes, I created those alias domains long ago.

I don't think there was any utility to run to do a conversion of domain
aliases?  I'm pretty sure I read the readme pretty carefully whenever I did
an upgrade.  Did I miss something?

So what *should* I do now with all my old-style domain aliases?  Do I have
to mess with the qmail config files by hand?  I'm happy to just delete the
old domain aliases and recreate them the new way.  Should I just:

    delete the lines from /var/qmail/users/assign

    remove the directory symlinks

or if there something else in the qmail configuration that I need to change
somewhere.  I've really always depended on vpopmail to do these things so I
don't know my way around qmail.

Is there anyone who remembers enough about how things were done that many
years back?

Thanks.

-Kurt