On 10/14/06, Bert JW Regeer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Oct 14, 2006, at 16:06:30  MST, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> See above. DJB was or is a (Free)-BSD user (when he started, Linux
> was a toy anyway), which back in these days had this problem.

Agreed, however his Maildir approach did not include hashing in any
way shape or form, so how did file systems back then handle over
1000's of email messages in an Inbox?

Poorly. I had a server stall after a user stopped checking mail and
accumulated 100,000 messages in a single folder. The filesystem was
basically unusable. That was on FreeBSD 4.6, IIRC. Once I cleared that
up, the mysterious slowness in general of the machine disappeared.

--
Jon