Thanks for the explanation...

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:11:25 -0800, Michael Johnson wrote:
> By default, there is a file called ~vpopmail/etc/open-smtp that is in
> the same format as tcp.smtp. The first thing to do would be to check
> that this file exists and your IP has been placed in it. That will
> ensure at least the first half of the process is working.

This file (~vpopmail/etc/open-smtp) is not being created. Directory permissions
appear correct.

> After every authentication where an IP is added, this file is
> combined with /etc/tcp.smtp and hashed in /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb. You will
> also want to check that this file is being created and is writable by
> your vpopmail user.

This file exists at /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.cdb and is writable by the
vpopmail user.

Any ideas why no open-smtp file was created?

Thanks,
Quinn

PS: here is more info on the vpopmail package I'm running:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/0 ~]$rpm -qi vpopmail-toaster
Name        : vpopmail-toaster             Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.4.13                            Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1.3.5                         Build Date: Sun 08 Oct 2006
01:02:24 AM CDT
Install Date: Sun 08 Oct 2006 01:57:24 AM CDT      Build Host:
one.strangecode.com
Group       : Networking/Other              Source RPM:
vpopmail-toaster-5.4.13-1.3.5.src.rpm
Size        : 1805315                          License: GPL
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Nick Hemmesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail
Summary     : Vpopmail for qmail-toaster
Description :

vpopmail (vchkpw)  is a collection  of programs  and a library to automate
the creation and maintence of virtual domain email for qmail installations
using either a single UID/GID, or any valid  UID/GID in /etc/passwd with a
home directory. All the  features  are  provided  in the library for other
applications which need to maintain virtual domain email accounts.

It supports named or IP based domains.  It works with vqadmin, qmailadmin,
vqregister, sqwebmail, and courier-imap.

It supports MySQL,  Sybase,  Oracle,  LDAP,  and  file-based (DJB constant
database) authentication.

It handles 10 to 10 million users, and over 500K domains.

           vpopmail 5.4.13
            Current settings
---------------------------------------

vpopmail directory = /home/vpopmail
               uid = 89
               gid = 89
     roaming users = ON  --enable-roaming-users
 password learning = OFF --disable-learn-passwords (default)
     md5 passwords = ON  --enable-md5-passwords (default)
      file locking = ON  --enable-file-locking (default)
vdelivermail fsync = OFF --disable-file-sync (default)
     make seekable = ON  --enable-make-seekable (default)
      clear passwd = ON  --enable-clear-passwd (default)
 user dir hashing  = OFF --disable-users-big-dir
address extensions = ON  --enable-qmail-ext
          ip alias = OFF --disable-ip-alias-domains (default)
       auth module = mysql --enable-auth-module=mysql
 mysql replication = OFF --disable-mysql-replication (default)
       sql logging = OFF --disable-sql-logging (default)
      mysql limits = OFF --disable-mysql-limits (default)
      MySQL valias = ON  --enable-valias
          auth inc = -I/usr/include/mysql
          auth lib = -L/usr/lib64/mysql  -lmysqlclient -lz -lm
  system passwords = OFF --disable-passwd (default)
        pop syslog = log success and errors including passwords
                     --enable-logging=v
      auth logging = ON  --enable-auth-logging (default)
one SQL table for all domains = --enable-many-domains (default)