I'm less concerned about the smtp end of the equation. I'm more
interested in the deliver half of the equation. After all that is what
vpopmail plays a part in, and that is the part of the system I hope to
keep. I do radius and ftp authentication against it.

Currently I use vpopmail with mysql. I'm thinking I can use the vpopmail
table for delivery from postfix. I was wondering if anyone else had
attempted it yet. It seems like it would be an easy thing to do...

Here is how I do it. It is not pretty if you depend on dot-qmail.

courier-authlib 0.58 + maildrop is my tool for local delivery.

You have to patch courier-authlib to get full vpopmail support (figures...there seems to be animosity between Sam and vpopmail?) which is a simple patch:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/vpopmail?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=courier-authlib-vpopmail.patch

You then have to compile maildrop 2.0.2 against courier-authlib so that it can use courier-authlib to pick up its settings from vpopmail.

So your lda is basically maildrop. The entire dot-qmail/qmail-users mechanism is completely bypassed :(.

master.cf:
maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vpopmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}

main.cf:
virtual_transport = maildrop
maildrop_destination_recipient_limit = 1
virtual_alias_domains = /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/rrm_static
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/valias # if needed

rrm_static:
domain = /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

hosts = localhost

user = vpopmail
password = vpopmailpass

dbname = vpopmail

query = select concat(pw_name, '@', pw_domain) from vpopmail where pw_name = '%u' and pw_domain = '%d'

result_format = [EMAIL PROTECTED]

valias:
domain = /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
hosts = localhost

user = vpopmail
password = vpopmailpass

dbname = vpopmail

query = select valias_line from valias where alias = '%u' and domain = '%d'